School Speech Development

My son is 5 he is reading and writing very well in school but has trouble saying his "r" and "th" sounds.

Should he see a speech and language pathologist?

Comments for School Speech Development

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 28, 2013
It Depends...
by: Audrey

He could see a private therapist.

In my school district - in fact, in my state - he would not be eligible for school-based services, though.

"th" is only one age-appropriate sound he's struggling with (we need at least 2).

And, success in the classroom makes it hard to demonstrate an educational impact (something private therapists don't have to worry about!).

Nov 07, 2012
5 year old with /r/ & /th/
by: Anonymous

Typically SLPs wait until at least 7 to work on these sounds. He might master it on his own by 8. I would give it more time.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Speech Therapy Questions & Answers.

What’s the Pic Articulation is a revolutionary app for speech therapy!

Check Out the What's the Pic Articulation App
Check Out the What's the Pic Articulation App

SEE ALSO: 8 Activities for Using Multi-syllabic Words

Freebies, Activities, and Specials, Oh My!
Sign up for Terrific Therapy Activity Emails

Your information is 100% private & never shared.