Does My Son Need Speech Therapy

by Melanie
(Brisbane, Australia)

Hi I have an 11 year old son who always pronounced his "L" words with a "W".

We have always thought he may grow out of it seeing we always try & correct him. He is getting ready to go to high school next year & I'm concerned that it could inhibit him.

Should we seek therapy or is he likely to outgrow it?

Comments for Does My Son Need Speech Therapy

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Aug 26, 2014
Does my son need speech therapy?
by: Rosario

I recommend having your son evaluated by a speech-Language Pathologist.

Also, you may take him to his pediatrician and/or Ear Nose Throat Doctor (otorhynolaringologist)to evaluate your son's lingual frenum to make sure it is not short and inhibiting him from correctly producing the /l/ sound.

Aug 25, 2014
Definitely seek speech therapy
by: Luke from HomeSpeechHome

Yes Melanie,

You should definitely get therapy for your son.

Children should outgrow "L" sound errors by age 6. See norms at the following link.

You may be interested in our downloadable book on teaching the "L" sound...

Whatever you choose therapy is a must at his age. Best of luck.



Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Speech Therapy Questions & Answers.

What’s the Pic Articulation is a revolutionary app for speech therapy!

Check Out the What's the Pic Articulation App
Check Out the What's the Pic Articulation App

SEE ALSO: 8 Activities for Using Multi-syllabic Words

Freebies, Activities, and Specials, Oh My!
Sign up for Terrific Therapy Activity Emails

Your information is 100% private & never shared.