30 Problem Solving Scenarios for Speech Therapy Practice
As promised here are the words for your unlimited use.
If you know others who can use our lists...
...please share this page using the share buttons above.
What’s the Pic Articulation is a revolutionary app for speech therapy!
Problem Solving Scenarios
- Your friends came over to your house for a movie night. One of your friends brought another friend so there are more people than you planned for. You want to pass out the drinks but you only have five cans of soda and you need 6 for everyone to have one. What could you do?
- After basketball practice you go back to the locker room with your team to shower and change. When you are done dressing, you can't find your shoes. What could you do?
- You have been waiting all day for lunch to come because you are starving. Finally class gets over and you get to go to lunch. Except when you go to get to your lunch, it's not there. You probably left it at home. What could you do?
- There is a guy in your class who is always mean to you. He always bumps you when he walks by and he calls you names. He knocks stuff out of your hands and makes you feel stupid. You don't think you can take it anymore. What could you do?
- You really want to invite this new girl/guy to come to your birthday party, but you have never talked to them before. You are worried they will say no. What could you do?
- You rode the bus to school today and on the way in people are pointing and laughing at you. You go in the bathroom and see that you have pink gum all over the back of your pants. What could you do?
- You wake up and see that your alarm never went off. So you are starting your morning 15 minutes later than you planned. It is a really important day at school and you cannot be late. What could you do?
- You are giving a group presentation in front of class and it's your turn to talk. All of the sudden you sneeze. You cover it with your hand, but now your hand is full of stuff you sneezed out. What could you do?
- You are eating dinner at a fancy restaurant with your parents and their friends. You have a really messy dinner and accidentally flip a noodle into the lady's lap. They are busy talking and don't notice it. What could you do?
- You are taking a test and there is no talking allowed. You are writing your answers on the paper and your pencil breaks. What could you do?
- You are taking a test and the guy behind you asks you for help. He wants to know what you put for question number two. What could you do?
- You are at a birthday party and you have waited in line for a long time for your turn to hit the pinata. It is finally going to be your turn and it looks like the next hit will break the pinata. But you suddenly have to go to the bathroom. What could you do?
- You are hanging outside with your friend and she decides to pick your neighbor's flowers. She gives you the pretty handful of flowers and right then your neighbor opens the door. She asks you why you picked her flowers. What could you do?
- You borrowed your sister's skates one day without asking and they broke while you were using them. What could you do?
- You are eating at a friend's house and the mom piles your plate full of food. It looks really good and you want to eat it all but you can't because you just ate a snack. What could you do so you don't hurt her feelings?
- Your teacher was working at her desk. You wanted to ask her a question, but she didn't see your hand raised. What should you do?
- You started to do your work, but you weren't sure if you were doing it right. What should you do?
- You were playing tether-ball and were the champion so far. In the next game, you slightly touched the rope. Only one student saw you touch the rope. What will you do?
- The teacher is giving directions, but your friend sitting next to you keeps talking. You can't hear the directions. What should you do?
- You didn't do your homework. Your teacher was upset with you. What should you do?
- You finished eating and felt a burp coming. What are you going to do?
- You were waiting to swing. When it was your turn, another boy jumped in front of you and took the swing. What would you do?
- You waited a long time, but your mom didn't come to pick you up after school. What should you do?
- A bully threatened to beat you up after school. What should you do?
- A boy on the playground keeps pushing you and making you mad. What would you do?
- You were sitting in class doing your work and you hear the fire alarm. What should you do?
- An adult you didn't know came on to the playground and asked if you would help look for his lost dog. What would you do?
- You forgot your lunch at home. What would you do?
- The person sitting behind you keeps tapping your chair with his foot. What should you do?
- You finished your work early. What should you do?
This list of functional words was professionally selected to be the most useful for a child or adult who has difficulty with problem solving scenarios.
We encourage you to use this list when practicing at home.
Home practice will make progress toward meeting individual language goals much faster.
Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs) are only able to see students/clients 30-60 mins (or less) per week. This is not enough time or practice for someone to handle Problem solving scenarios.
Every day that your loved one goes without practice it becomes more difficult to help them.
We know life is busy, but if you're reading this you're probably someone who cares about helping their loved one as much as you can.
Practice 5-10 minutes whenever you can, but try to do it on a consistent basis (daily).
Please, please, please use this list to practice.
It will be a great benefit to you and your loved one's progress.