15 Inference Examples for Speech Therapy Practice
As promised here are the words for your unlimited use.
If you know others who can use our lists...
...please share this page using the share buttons above.
Get thousands of targeted words, phrases, sentences, and stories, with Word Vault Essential.
- You left your hot dog on the picnic table and went to play for a little bit. When you came back the table was cleared and your mom was getting everything packed up in the car. She hollered to you that it was time to go. What do you think happened to your hot dog?
- You and your friend were babysitting a bunch of babies while their moms were in a class. The babies were all happy, crawling around, and playing with toys.
Your friend all the sudden looked at you and pinched her nose. Then you smelled something stinky too. Where do you think the smell came from?
- You worked for your dad all day shredding papers in his office. When you got home and went to wash your hands for dinner, you noticed two small cuts on your fingers that weren’t there before. How do you think you got those cuts?
- A girl went to this awesome dance party. Everyone got a little crazy and people started jumping up and down on a few songs.
It was so crowded that people were bumping into each other and knocking each other over constantly. The girl decided to go home. The next morning she woke up and noticed one of her toenails was black and blue. How do you think that happened?
- A boy was riding his bike home from school and he rode past a car accident. It looked pretty bad because one the cars had the windows broken out all over the ground.
The next day he went to ride his bike and the tires were both flat. Why do you think they were flat?
- You are swimming with your brother and all of the sudden his face looks surprised and he says, “Uh-Oh.” What do you think happened?
- You and your friend are on a bike ride and the sky turns grey. Your friend looks back at you with a disappointed look on his face. Why is his face sad?
- Your friend’s mom is having a baby and they didn’t know if it was going to be a boy or a girl. Your friend wants it to be a girl. You are playing outside when the phone rings.
Your friend goes inside and you watch through the window as she answers the phone. Her face gets a huge smile and she screams, “Yes!” Why do you think she did that?
- Your dad brought you a present from his business trip. You opened it up and it was a little glass dinosaur figurine.
You put it in your shirt pocket and patted it with your hand and said, “That’ll keep you safe.” But then you heard a small sound and felt a sharp poke on your finger. What do you think happened?
- You went to school late because you had a dentist appointment. You showed up to your classroom and no one was there. Then you looked at the clock and saw it was around noon and then your tummy growled. Where do you think your classmates were?
- Today is the day you get your grades. Your mom promised you and your brother that if you got all A’s and B’s, she would take you skating. You got your grades and you did well. Now you just had to see what your brother got.
As you were walking to meet your brother after school, he was looking at the ground and walking really slow. What kind of grades do you think your brother got and how do you know?
- Your sister was gone for three days on a snowboarding trip. You missed her so bad. You woke up and saw her sitting on the couch. Her leg was propped up and had a big pink cast on it. What do you think happened?
- A lady was growing tomatoes on her porch and was waiting for them to turn red so she could eat them. The neighbor kids liked to play on her porch because she had fun steps they could jump off of.
The tomatoes were almost ready to eat because they were orange and turning red. One more day was all they needed. The next day the lady came home and all the red tomatoes were gone. What do you think happened to them?
- A girl dragged her towel and tube on the road as she walked home from the swimming pool because she was too tired to carry it. She had swam really hard. The next time she went swimming, she went to get her tube and it was flat. Why do you think it was flat?
- The neighbor boy got a BB gun for his birthday and you saw him sitting on his back porch all day shooting and practicing his aim. The next day you found a dead bird under the tree in your backyard. What do you think happened?
This list of functional words was professionally selected to be the most useful for a child or adult who has difficulty interpreting this list of inference examples.
We encourage you to use this list of inference examples when practicing at home.
Home practice with these inference examples will make progress toward meeting individual language goals much faster.
Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs) are only able to use inference examples with students/clients 30-60 mins (or less) per week.
This is not enough time or practice with inference examples for someone to strengthen their understanding of this important language concept.
Every day that your loved one goes without practice it becomes more difficult to help them.
We know life is busy, but if you're reading this you're probably someone who cares about helping their loved one as much as you can.
Practice 5-10 minutes whenever you can, but try to do it on a consistent basis (daily).
Please, please, please use this list to practice.
It will be a great benefit to you and your loved one's progress.